- Are psychotherapy sessions confidential?
- Yes, sessions are strictly confidential. There are some rare circumstances in which disclosure would be required by law. You and your therapist will discuss this at the beginning of your therapy.
- Can I have my psychotherapy sessions by phone? FaceTime? Skype?
- Sessions are typically held in person in your therapist’s office. Sessions by phone, Skype, or FaceTime may be arranged with some therapists.
- How long is a session?
- A session is 50-60 minutes in length. For couple therapy, your therapist may offer a 60 minute or 90 minute session.
- How long can I expect to be in therapy?
- You and your therapist will discuss this question together. Your therapist will likely recommend weekly sessions at the beginning to establish a working relationship. Sometimes issues you are facing will be resolved in a shorter amount of time, while others require longer-term, more in-depth work.
- What is the difference between a psychotherapist, a psychiatrist, a psychologist and a social worker?
While all of these regulated professionals are able to practise psychotherapy, each brings a different training to his/her work. A Spadina Therapy Centre psychotherapist is either
- a Registered Psychotherapist (RP) with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO) or,
- a Registered Social Worker (RSW) with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW).
A Registered Psychotherapist (RP) or Registered Social Worker (RSW) has extensive training in psychotherapy from a recognized psychotherapy training program such as:
- Centre for Training in Psychotherapy
- Ontario Institute for Studies in Education
- University of Toronto School of Social Work
- Integral Healing Centre of Toronto
Psychotherapists do not diagnose or provide psychological assessments, nor do they prescribe medication.
A psychiatrist is a medical doctor (MD) who has specialized training in psychiatry.
A psychiatrist can make a diagnosis and prescribe medication.
A psychologist can provide psychological assessments.
- Is the Spadina Therapy Centre wheelchair accessible?
- No, the Spadina Therapy Centre is not wheelchair accessible.
- Is psychotherapy covered by OHIP?
- No, psychotherapy is not covered by OHIP.
- Is psychotherapy covered by my benefits/insurance plan?
- Check with your provider to determine whether psychotherapy is covered by your policy. Psychotherapists at the Spadina Therapy Centre are registered professionals with either the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO) or the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW). Receipts will be provided by your therapist upon request.
- What is the cost?
- Each therapist at the Spadina Therapy Centre determines his/her own fee. This ranges from $100-$150 per hour.
- Can I pay by e-Transfer? Credit card?
- You and your therapist will make arrangements regarding payment that best suits you both. Therapists at the Spadina Therapy Centre do not accept payment by credit card. In addition to cash and cheques, some therapists accept payment by e-Transfer.